Friday, March 4, 2011

The uniform and the hoop

The birds woke me up with their chatter. 'The' morning was finally here. I opened my eyes, and there it was. On the hanger on the wall opposite. Hanging smartly, ironed, my uniform. My first day to school. I stood up from the bed hurriedly, and started to get ready. School. Wow! My dream. I'll have children my age to play with, masters who set me lessons to do. I'll get free lunch during recess. I will become a doctor and treat my mother who is always ill. I got ready, put on my new shoes, packed my new copy in my new school bag. Combed my hair. While looking at myself in the mirror, i hung the bag on my shoulders. I do look smart. Very handsome indeed. Then i heard the honking of the school van. Slap! Yell! Honk! Honk! Cough! Dust! Smoke! Another slap. i saw my father shouting for me to wake up - "Uth, roti kahan se aayegi warna." I woke up. Stood up from the rug, put on the slippers made from used plastic bottles. My eyes searched for my metal hoop. My brother was standing at a distance with a small drum in his hand. I looked around, saw my mother coughing, father already gulping down the desi tharra. I saw the children across the road on the pavement, going to school. "Chal jaldi" came my brother's voice. I looked at him. I looked at them. Picked up the hoop. Went to the traffic light with my brother and his drum and my hoop and began to perform.

Perhaps, someday, i will hear a school van calling out for me. For now, i'll have to do with honking trucks and cars passing by.

No comments:

Post a Comment